Just as a quick update on the Calligraphy - I finished one side of the button band and am in the middle of picking up stitches for the other side. In the middle of that, I decided I wanted to take a break from all.that.ribbing. So, I started working on my Cladonia with real enthusiasm.
As I said in my last post, I had a few minor issues with the chart. Total user error. I also had some issues with the picot bind off. Looking back, I don't think I had had enough coffee to be doing what I was doing at that point in the morning. With a picot bind off you bind off stitches, then cast on more stitches, bind those off, cast on more, bind those off, cast on a few more, bind those off, and then a few extra. The pattern was well written, but it had a lot of parenthesis and well, I never was good at order of operations. So, I just wrote out the directions, one step at a time, including all repeats of cast on/bind off until I could really wrap my head around it. After doing a few repeats of the bind off, I had it mastered and didn't even need to read the directions to finish the rest of the stitches. It's really easy, once you figure out what the heck you're supposed to do.
Once I tackled the bind off (which by the way, took an entire afternoon) I blocked the shawl. It grew a lot after a good soak. I wish I thought to take pre-blocking measurements, but in my excitement to get it blocked, I totally forgot. I blocked it by painstakingly pinning out each picot and a straight egde along the top.
Please don't tell my other finished projects, but I think this one might be my favorite one yet. I can't wait to wear it!
Pattern: Cladonia by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Well Water
Needles: KnitPicks Harmony, US 7